Still thinking that hosting is a necessity rather than a strategic investment? Well, we’re here to prove you wrong.
Any provider, even a low-budget one, can house your webstore on a server. But not everyone will guarantee fast-speed connection, stable performance, and security for a moderate price. It’s no secret that Magento has complex architecture and, thus, requires decent server horsepower to run a store effectively.
If you’re experiencing information overload but still can’t find a perfect provider for your self-hosted Magento 2 Commerce or Open Source shop, we’re here to clear things up for you. In this article, you’ll find all the recommended Magento hosting requirements as well as some best Magento hosting providers living up to every merchant’s expectations.
What Should You Be Looking for in a Magento Hosting Provider?
Magento is a powerful, feature-rich platform that can get pretty hefty as your store grows. And a web host should be reliable enough to sustain such a robust ecommerce architecture. Consider the following factors while choosing the best Magento 2 hosting provider:
- Technology stack: RAM, bandwidth, web servers (scroll down for Magento hosting requirements).
- Scalability: sufficient storage to handle traffic spikes.
- Performance optimization tools: built-in cache, content delivery network (CDN), etc.
- Security: SSL certificate, regular automatic updates, etc.
- Customer support via various channels (email, live chat, phone).
Magento is quite specific when it comes to the web host tech stack. So let us walk through the basic Magento hosting requirements before we give a list of top Magento hosting services.
Key Requirements for Magento Hosting Providers
A hosting provider should follow the recommended Magento hosting requirements. The minimum technology stack for Magento stores can be found on the official Magento DevDocs website and is listed in the table below.
|Operating system||Linux (x86-64) distributions, including RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, and similar.|
|Memory||2GB of RAM|
|Web servers||Apache or NGINX|
|Database||MySQL 8.0 for Magento 2.4 on-premise installationsMariaDB 10.4 for Magento Commerce Cloud projects|
|Supported PHP versions||~7.1.3|
|SSL certificate||A valid security certificate is required for HTTPS.Self-signed SSL certificates are not supported.|
If it’s all Greek to you, let us explain how the aforementioned specifications can affect your website performance.
- To install Magento, a server should operate on Linux for 64-bit x86. It’s fast and lightweight, so your store won’t experience overloads. This is probably the reason why Magento is not supported on Windows or MAC OS.
- When you sign up for a web hosting plan, you’re basically purchasing space on a web server to use as your own. Small Magento merchants can consider 1GB of RAM as a baseline to sustain low traffic and upload few files. However, the official Magento documentation warns that any system with less than 2GB of RAM can result in performance issues, so larger stores shouldn’t risk it.
- Apache or NGINX will allow you to configure settings for caching static content and for content compression. These settings will increase your store page load speed.
- MySQL should be compatible with the version of Magento you’re using. It ensures secure data storage and optimal web performance.
These specifications are all met with a VPS (Virtual Private Server), cloud, or a dedicated server. We don’t recommend using shared hosting for Magento stores, though. Although this option is low-cost, it is quite unreliable. You’ll risk running into downtimes and performance issues, especially if your website traffic starts growing.
Best Magento 2 Hosting Providers
For the list of top Magento hosting providers, we have chosen only the best-performing web hosts for Magento in particular. Some of the factors we’ve looked into are the features (bandwidth, backups, RAM, SSL, number of sites, etc.), pricing & value for money, and customer support.
Without further ado, let’s see the chosen list of the best Magento 2 hosting providers!
A2 Hosting for Blazing Fast Performance
A2 Hosting has been catering to the needs of Magento merchants ever since its launch in 2008. What sets it apart from its competitors are powerful servers and stellar customer support. The hosting provider runs on PHP-based CDNs, LiteSpeed web servers, and a LiteMage Cache system, all of which lead to impressive load time. This same blazing speed is observed in instant replies of the support team available round-the-clock via a chat, toll-free phone line, and email.
A2 Hosting also earns the title of the best Magento 2 hosting providers for its ease of use and quick installation. Magento software comes pre-installed on its servers, so it takes only a few clicks to set up a store.
A2 Hosting key features:
- A variety of hosting options (shared, VPS, cloud).
- Turbo servers featuring and, thus, 99.9% uptime commitment.
- Advanced LiteMage caching solution.
- Automatic daily backups.
- Free SSL certificates and regular security initiatives (dual hosting firewall, reinforced DDoS attack protection, etc.).
- Unlimited SSD storage.
- Money-back guarantee.
- 24/7/365 customer support via live chat, phone, email.
A2 Hosting plans & pricing: A2 Hosting offers two plans for Magento merchants. Turbo Boost starts at $9.99/month with 2GB of RAM, and Turbo Max at $14.99/month with 4GB of RAM.
Liquid Web/Nexcess for SMBs Looking to Scale
Nexcess is a premier managed web hosting provider for eCommerce platforms. Although it joined the Liquid Web family in 2019, Nexcess has retained its name and expertise in Magento hosting. It continues delivering full-service application web hosting and managed cloud portfolio to small- to medium-sized businesses (SMBs).
Liquid Web/Nexcess currently manage 45,000+ servers, operate 8 global data centers, and have a Magento master on staff to help with the store setup. Interestingly, Nexcess is one of the only hosting services that still supports Magento 1 despite its end-of-life in 2020. This Magento hosting provider has been with Magento ever since its beginning and guarantees auto-scaling, security, PWA readiness, and support into a hosting plan.
Liquid Web/Nexcess key features:
- Cloud hosting.
- Auto-scaling during traffic spikes with 24 hours for free.
- Built-in CDN on 22 locations and advanced caching for ultra-fast loading.
- PCI-compliant hosting with advanced security tracking.
- Nexcess Safe Harbory feature to maintain and secure Magento 1 stores.
- Ready to deploy a PWA version of the store.
- Staging sites and dedicated IP addresses.
- 24/7/365 support and a Magento Master on-staff.
Liquid Web/ Nexcess plans & pricing: Managed Magento hosting plans are based on tiered pricing starting at $49/month for stores with 20 concurrent visitors (the users actively browsing and clicking on your website). Nexcess also offers Magento dedicated server hosting for heavy-load websites at higher rates. Magento bare metal hosting (up to 5000 concurrent visitors) will cost you $599.95+/month, and Magento managed clusters — from $1,500/month.
Cloudways for Outstanding Cloud Services
Founded in 2011, Cloudways has made some noise as a Magento cloud hosting provider with a non-standard business model. Instead of hosting your store on their premises, Cloudways collaborates with the best cloud infrastructure providers. These include DigitalOcean, Vultr, Linode, Google Cloud Platform, and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Affiliate partnerships make Cloudways extremely customizable and, thus, universal for an ecommerce business of any size. You can host your website in any part of the world, with different server configurations (be it 2GB or 400GB of RAM), and at varying prices. Besides, the merchants can take advantage of Magento 1 and Magento 2 installers and deploy servers in no time.
Cloudways key features:
- Magento cloud hosting from the world’s leading providers, like DigitalOcean, Vultr, Linode, Google Cloud Platform, and AWS.
- Server characteristics tailor-made for Magento optimal performance: PHP 7.3 Ready Servers, latest Apache/Nginx, PHP-FPM, and MySQL/MariaDB for improved loading speed.
- ThunderStack formula with advanced caching technologies such as FPC, Varnish, Memcached, and Redis.
- The freedom to scale the server storage up and down based on your needs and pay according to the resources used (no fixed pricing).
- Automated security backups.
- Free SSL certificate to be installed in one click.
- 24/7/365 support via live chat or a ticket.
- 3-day free trial (no credit card required).
Cloudways plans & pricing: Cloudways provides pay-as-you-go hosting plans. In other words, you pay only for the resources you consumed in the past month. The prices for Cloudways Magento hosting vary from $10/month with 1GB of RAM and 25GB of storage on DigitalOcean to $ 274/month with 16GB of RAM and 20GB of storage on AWS.
HostGator for Simple Website Owners Running on a Budget
If you’re new to Magento ecommerce and looking for something affordable and easy-to-use, HostGator is for you. It has shared, reseller, and cloud plans compatible with Magento 2.0 as well as VPS and dedicated plans available for Magento 2.1. A merchant can take advantage of an automatic Magento installer and set up a store single-handedly.
Although it’s surprisingly similar in its pricing and resources to Bluehost (spoiler: both companies are owned by Endurance International Group), HostGator is a top choice among small Magento retailers. The hosting provider has special offerings for Magento merchants, such as an 866 toll-free number, a free dedicated IP address, and a free private SSL certificate. It may seem like nothing special; yet, a retailer will enjoy stability and decent server response time with Hostgator.
HostGator key features:
- A variety of hosting options (shared, VPS, dedicated, or cloud).
- Unmetered disk space and bandwidth.
- Email features, like WebMail Access via Horde or SquirrelMail, spam prevention, and autoresponders.
- Free dedicated IP address, SSL certificate, and a toll-free number.
- A 45-day money-back guarantee
- 24/7/365 premium support via phone and live chat.
HostGator plans & pricing: There are three hosting plans at pretty modest prices. Hatchling Plan is the cheapest and will cost you $2.75/month, and the Business Plan comes at a fee of $5.95/month.
ScalaHosting for Easy-to-Manage Server Storage
Looking to scale but not sure how much RAM you’ll need? ScalaHosting is your option! It’s a US-based independent hosting provider allowing you to add or remove server resources based on your needs. Recognized as one of the best VPS Host 2021 by Forbes, ScalaHosting also bridges the gap between the cheap, the powerful, and the easy-to-use.
These three parameters are often sought after by Magento retailers. Its intuitive dashboard gives you full control over server storage and resources. Its LiteSpeed web server, advanced system of caching, and a CDN will ensure stable performance and fast page load at all times. A 1-click installer will allow you to set Magento in a matter of minutes and start selling ASAP.
ScalaHosting key features:
- 1-click Magento installer.
- LiteSpeed web server and SpeedBoost caching plugin.
- SPanel control panel for web server management.
- SShield feature for improved security, cyberattack prevention, and 24/7 website monitoring.
- Regular website backups and a free SSL certificate.
- Basic SEO tools for Magento merchants.
- Free migration from another hosting provider.
- 24/7 live chat support.
ScalaHosting plans & pricing: The pricing plans start at $3.95/month for one website and 20GB of SSD storage. The most advanced plan recommended for Magento users costs $9.95/month and includes unlimited websites, 50GB of SSD Storage, and 8x CPU power, among others. Mind the pricing spikes as you renew your plan, though.
Krystal Hosting for Fast & Secure Connection
Now let’s move to the European hosting services market. Krystal is one of the leaders here — a UK-based hosting provider that prides itself on transparency, reliability, and quality support. They provide hosting consulting and have Magento DevOps on staff to help with the website staging and deployment strategy.
Another highlight of Krystal hosting is its eco-friendly approach. The provider is the first to use renewable energy from sources like the sun, wind, and sea to power the servers. So you get optimized web servers and secure cloud hosting at no cost to Mother Earth!
Krystal key features:
- A fully managed Magento 2 hosting on LiteSpeed servers and caching.
- Easy setup (Magento software is pre-installed on servers).
- PCI compliance (especially useful for Magento Open Source merchants since this Magento version is not PCI-compliant by default).
- Automatic backups six times a day.
- Free 256-bit SSL certificates included.
- Basic email management tools.
- 24/7 emergency phone support and live chat during UK business hours.
- 60-day money-back guarantee
Krystal plans & pricing: Krystal offers three Magento hosting plans. The Sapphire plan will cost you £29.99 ($42.40) per month with 3GB of RAM, the Diamond plan for £59.99 ($84.81) per month with 4GB of RAM, and the Tanzanite plan for £99.99 ($141.36) per month with 8GB of RAM. Discounts are available with the annual and triennial subscriptions.
MageMojo for 100% Magento Dedicated Hosting Services
This option may cost a pretty penny. However, if you’re a well-established store owner and money is no object for you, MageMojo is worth investing in. Magento has been their focus and specialty for over a decade now. The MageMojo team takes pride in their 24/7 customer support and promises to help you out both with server issues and website deadlocks.
Their MaaS (Magento-as-a-Service) solution runs on AWS cloud services and is built on top of a microservices architecture. This saves money even compared to the best Magento dedicated server hosting and is much more efficient when it comes to auto-scaling. The provider bills its clients on a pay-as-you-go basis and provides a production environment to introduce code changes without downtime.
MageMojo key features:
- 100% dedicated to Magento — no other merchants are served.
- Cloud hosting based on a microservice architecture.
- Automatic scaling at the website traffic spikes.
- Magento-specific web application firewall & malware scanning.
- User-friendly control panel to manage users, SSL certificates, service configurations, and more.
- 24/7 live user support on both server and website performance issues.
MageMojo plans & pricing: The provider presents self-service pricing, whereby you pay based on your store’s traffic. You can connect your Google Analytics reports to see what your last 12 months of bills would have been. If you’re only starting out in ecommerce, you can look into MageMojo’s hosting plans, the cheapest one being $98/month.
Best Magento Hosting Providers: Honorable Mentions
The aforementioned Magento hosting providers are not the only ones on the market. Here are a few honorable mentions that haven’t fit into the list but are still popular among Magento merchants:
- SiteGround — a universal hosting provider offering Magento caching, proactive server monitoring, and custom security.
- Hostinger — an affordable VPS hosting provider focused specifically on ecommerce.
- BlueHost — a reliable Magento dedicated server hosting provider.
- InMotion — a provider with 1-click Magento installer and robust analytics tools.
- GoDaddy — a provider with a variety of hosting options suitable for SMBs.
- MGT-Commerce — a 100% dedicated Magento service similar to MageMojo.
Magento Commerce Cloud: The Best Solution for Those Tired of a Web Host Search
Why spend so much time looking for a web host if you can purchase an already hosted Magento version?
Magento Commerce Cloud is a powerful cloud-based solution for businesses of any size, from big retailers like Rubik’s to small ones like Glassmania. This edition preserves all the features of Magento Commerce but is hosted on AWS or Microsoft Azure (for enterprise projects). The cost of hosting and setup come included in a Magento Commerce Cloud pricing plan.
The benefits you get with a cloud-hosted Magento are greater than the cost:
- It’s easily scalable to handle sudden increases in-store activity and ensure 99.99 percent uptime.
- It’s fast: because Magento Commerce Cloud is geared to maximize performance, merchants can drop page load times by 3+ seconds and, thus, improve conversion rates.
- It regulates the total cost of ownership (TCO) if your store traffic and transactions grow. You won’t have to invest in new hardware, software, and networking components of a server to increase its capacity
- It’s managed for you. Because you’ll have a dedicated team taking care of your store infrastructure, you can focus on more important challenges, like sales or marketing, rather than server management.
With Magento Commerce Cloud, you don’t have to choose the Best Magento hosting provider. You can just sit back and see your website going live without extra hassle.