When you add products to your online store, you can never be sure they will display properly on your website. If the images do not get uploaded or displayed properly, this will damage the user experience. Importing products to your online store is a tricky process. You need to fix errors while importing and ‘clean’ the data before uploading them to the store. So, how to import products to online store?
Magento 2 offers a wide range of features to import products all at once easily and quickly. It lets you manage your product flow, importing and exporting products in just a few clicks.
In this article, you will learn how to import products in Magento 2 and what issues may appear while importing products in Magento 2.
But first, let’s figure out the most common issues when you import products to Magento.
– Format CSV file properly. It is essential to format your CSV file in order to import correct data. As the issues with poorly formatted CSV especially occur with files created in Excel;
– Edit images properly. Adding images is tricky. You can have problems with import of multiple images through CSV/Excel. In some cases, images are not imported together with products, it may happen if they are not stored in the /media/import folder.
– Don’t make long descriptions. You need to limit descriptions to 255 characters.
To conduct product import in Magento, you will need to follow these steps.
In Magento 2, the best way to upload new products is via .CSV using Magento Import and export products functionality. Thanks to this feature, you can easily add more products, update, replace, and delete products. CSV files have a specific format where column headings correspond to the Attribute Code. In Magento, you can build a proper CSV template to ensure all product data matches the database.
To avoid issues with imported data, manually create your CSV file according to Magento 2.0 format.
– The format of CSV should be UTF-8 format and you can use Google Docs or OpenOffice. Avoid using Excel to generate CSV files.
– Instead of using attribute code, use an attribute label while creating the headings (columns).
– Save the file as CSV, not .xls.
Go to the Admin sidebar and follow these steps: System > Data Transfer > Import.
Then, Import Setting > set Entire Type to products > download sample file > save. After opening the sample file, confirm the CSV import file is not exceeding the limit, which is usually 2M. The Magento default location on the server is pub/media/import.
In this section, you need to start with choosing the action you need to import data and follow the following steps.
Add/Update – you can add new data and create new products or update existing product data.
Replace – here, you are replacing existing data.
Delete – matching products will be deleted.
In Magento 2, you can double-check your data before importing your products, and this is called ‘stop on error’. After that, select Field Separator and Multiple Value Separator. You can use a comma as a Field Separator (by default in Magento), or a pipe (I).
Click on the ‘Check Data’ in the upper-corner and complete the process. Import all the valid data by clicking on the Import button in the Validation Results. Receive the notification and complete the process. Then, on the Admin sidebar, view the import history by following these steps: System > Data Transfer > Import History.
We, at Elogic, have already helped more than 100 retailers and 30 brands to build their online stores from scratch.
Our services revolve around Magento. We build e-shops from scratch with Magento, migrate to Magento from another platform, or integrate Magento stores with third-party systems. If you need any help with developing your online store, reach out to us.